Our staff has presented CLE courses on various topics, including ethics, asset and people locates, and social media investigations. Please take a look at our courses below.
- Deposition Officers, Process Servers and Private Investigators: What You Need to Know to Stay Out of Trouble!
- Finding Assets and Finding People: Tips, Tricks and Insight from a Private Investigator
- Social Media Investigations: Don’t Miss the Boat
Deposition Officers, Process Servers and Private Investigators: What you need to know to stay out of trouble!
In this class, Joseph discusses the responsibilities of deposition officers (the person who receives subpoenaed records) and why in many cases attorneys can’t do it themselves and in other cases why they shouldn’t do it themselves. Next he discusses specific rules of process serving that law firms need to be aware of and how improper service can be a huge liability. Finally he discusses how firms can better work with Private Investigators, some of the dos and don’ts and why you shouldn’t turn a blind eye to illegal activity. Legalities of certain hot topics discussed include GPS tracking, finding bank accounts and cell phone PING’s among others.
Finding Assets and Finding People: Tips, Tricks and Insight from a Private Investigator
In this class Joseph provides useful tips and insights on how to track down people and their money. This class is focused on teaching the legal professional what they should/shouldn’t be doing in their own investigations and when working with an outside investigator. Assets discussed include vehicles, boats, properties and bank accounts among other things. Real world examples and tools will be provided on how to track people down using online databases, social media, pretexting and other non-conventional methods.
Social Media Investigations: Don’t Miss the Boat
In this class Joseph Jones will discuss how social media and internet use have opened up new avenues for legal investigations. He will address why social media investigations are important to almost every case type. He will also discuss how to correctly locate, preserve and authenticate online content, and why a printed copy of something online is insufficient to produce as evidence. The discussion also includes ethical discussions on what you should/shouldn’t be doing in regards to sending “friend” requests or other communications with subjects of the investigation. Case law discussed will include what happens when law firms give no advice or bad advice to their clients regarding how to handle their social media accounts during litigation.
- Social Media Investigations Handout
- Google Subpoenas and Perishable Evidence (Part I)
- Google Subpoenas and Perishable Evidence (Part II)
- Case Law Relevant to Social Media Investigations
Joseph Jones: Bio
Joseph Jones is a licensed Private Investigator and the Vice President of Bosco Legal Services, Inc. Joseph has worked in almost every position at Bosco, starting with sweeping the parking lots, and as such has an intimate knowledge of every facet of the business. Joseph is a Certified Social Media Intelligence Expert, Certified Expert in Cyber Investigations, and holds multiple certifications in Open Source and Cyber Intelligence. He also has degrees in Psychology and Social & Behavior Sciences.
Joseph has received over 1,000 hours of specialized training and regularly teaches courses to attorneys, paralegals, insurance professionals, and contributes to their various publications. Joseph has appeared as an Expert Witness in legal cases on various topics. When he’s not tracking down bad guys or digging up the truth, he enjoys spending time with his beautiful wife and 4 active children. Connect with him on LinkedIn.
Appearances and Presentations
Over the last several years Joseph has become a sought after speaker and regularly offers classes to train attorneys, paralegals and other legal professionals. Joseph has presented at events for the below organizations and firms:
• Los Angeles Paralegal Association
• Long Beach Legal Secretaries Association
• San Bernardino County Bar Association
• Riverside County Bar Association
• California Alliance of Paralegal Associations
• Orange County Paralegal Association
• Orange County Legal Secretaries Association
• Desert Palm Legal Professionals Association
• Western San Bernardino County Bar Association
• Riverside County Bar Association- Probate division
• Inland Counties Association of Paralegals
• Desert Bar Association
• East West Family Law Council
• Desert Bar Association-Family Law Division
• Riverside County Law Library
• Chubb/Ace Group of Insurance Companies
• Berkshire Hathaway GUARD Insurance Company
• Automobile Club of Southern California
• Numerous private law firms
• Consumer Attorneys Association of Los Angeles (CAALA) annual conference
• Featured on “ServeNowEDU” Education for Process Servers & Private Investigators
• Featured article for CALSPRO
• Featured article in “Insurance Business”
• Interviewed on Voice America “PI’s Declassified”
• Riverside County Bar Association article on Online Intelligence
• Riverside Lawyer Magazine article on SMI & Forensic Preservation